Our Track Record
Beyond Waste has built on its exceptional reputation as the leading consultancy for waste market research in the South East by applying its skills to food waste resource assessment and utilisation. We have been commissioned to undertake the following projects:
What we offer....
Market Relevant Research
- By using our extensive network of contacts, research expertise and in-depth local knowledge.
- Robust and credible case for development - planning and bankers.
Hands On experience
- Design and execute research and business assists applying knowledge of sector practices and needs.
- Business relevant recommendations and actions targeted at cost effective action.
- Build on trusted relationships within the field to identify win-win outcomes.
- Develop long term supply relationships.
- Using WRATE LCA model to provide robust estimates of carbon benefits of food waste diversion.
- Reliable estimates to support the business case for diversion to use in CSR reports.
- Applying our in depth knowledge of legislation and auditing expertise.
- Commitment to cost effective compliance via estate audits.
Our Core Team
Alan Potter BSc (Hons) MCIWM, CEnv, UKELA, IEMA (qualified auditor)
Alan has over 25 years practical experience of waste and resource management issues in a variety of capacities (industry, local government, and the Environment Agency). He has in depth knowledge of the food waste market in the South East having led Beyond Waste's work in the field over the past 5 years.
Matt Todd (Associate) BSc, ATH
Matt has 15 years experience in waste research, with an specialism in waste from the hospitality sector. He authored the groundbreaking publication Waste Counts which was the first 'hands on' assessment of waste arisings from the sector involving in depth audits. He has extensive experience in running applied research projects and most recently set up and managed a commercial food waste recycling trial in Oxfordshire.
Matt has worked as a lecturer at the School of Hospitality at Oxford Brookes University and is a respected commentator in the field. He has extensive industry contacts as a result.
Paul Frith (Associate) MCIWM PGD
Paul provides independent appraisal of options, procurement support, bid evaluation and preparation. He has advised DEFRA on AD technologies managing successful completion of several major AD food waste research projects, and developing operators guide for food waste digestion
Paul is also a Lifecycle Assessment practitioner trained in the use of the Environment Agency approved Life Cycle Assessment Tool (WRATE - Expert version) to evaluate carbon savings and other environmental aspects of waste management systems.
Surrey County Council, Surrey Economic Partnership
- Generation of food waste production factors for types of premises including onsite audit and measurement.
- Estimation and mapping of organic waste resource from non municipal sources in Surrey.
- Identification of optimal location for processing plants accounting for MSW arisings.
Pathway to Zero Waste
- Determination of regional landfill diversion targets for commercial food waste.
- Identification of major food waste producers in the region & hotspot mapping.
- Stakeholder Workshops brokering relationships between food waste suppliers and users.
Brighton & Hove City Council
- Life Cycle Assessment of food waste diversion strategies.
East Sussex County Council
- In depth evaluation of local food waste collection trial including assessment of SMEs participation promoters and barriers.
John Lewis Partnership
- Advised on compliance aspects of all waste management activities across JLP Estate including food waste separation, collection and processing.
Remade South East
- Mapping existing and proposed processing capacity to identify gaps.
- Estimation and mapping of organic waste resource from non municipal sources in South East.
- Develop scenarios on treatment capacity deployment.
- Carbon footprint the scenarios using WRATE.
- Explore relationship between collection methods and treatment capacity.
- Assess the potential contribution of small scale onsite solutions.